Today’s lesson is easy peasy, and it’s the last thing you’ll need to do before you actually start building your list and making some serious money! I know my last blog post went on forever, so I’ll try to keep this one relatively brief.
At this point you should have:
- A hosting account
- A domain name
- A business email address, forwarded to your personal email address
- A WordPress blog installed in the web directory called “blog”
- A winning squeeze page on the main directory
- A freebie product to give to your subscribers
- A thank-you page and download page containing paid product offers
- A good deal of excitement in your gut!
By the way, if you own the first edition of “The White Hot List,” I’d like to begin this lesson by saying that I no longer encourage you to load up your autoresponder with 30 daily emails… not all at once, anyway! Instead, you’re going to load it up as you post to your blog. So one autoresponder message per day or so… but still set your emails to go out daily, at least for the first week or two.
(We’ll get to all that stuff in future lessons. For now, however…)
Simple WordPress Blog Configurations to Get Knocked Out Right Away:
Okay, here’s the short and sweet of it…
1. Go to yourdomain.com/wp-admin and login to your WordPress dashboard.
2. On the left menu bar under the “Settings” tab, select “Permalinks.”
3. Click the button next to “postname” and then save your settings.
4. Scroll up to “Posts” and trash the current post. Repeat with “Pages” and “Links.”
5. Go to “Plugins” and delete “Hello Dolly.” Update “Akismet.” (Go to http://askismet.com to get your API key.)
6. Go back to your plugins page and select “Add New Plugin.” Add the following plugins by typing their names into the search box, and then selecting “Install” when you find the correct plugin in the menu:
- WP Firewall
- Admin menu
- Fast secure contact form
- Google XML sitemaps
- Image widget
- Sexy bookmarks
- All In One SEO Pack (optional… only if you want keyword-targeted blog posts)
7. Activate and configure all plugins which require configuration. (You’ll be prompted for most of them… others can now be found in your WP admin’s left toolbar. Just click on them to configure.)
8. Add legal pages to your blog. Look at the upper left corner of my blog (the one you’re on now) to see the types of pages you want. Use your “fast secure contact form” to generate your “Contact” page. For all other pages, you can just basically copy mine if you want… just use your own name, contact info, and all that jazz.
9. Select “Appearance” from the toolbar and click “Themes.” For now, pick a nice, clean theme that you like. You can type your niche into the search box, or just use the satellite buttons to select features you’d like. Once you find a theme you think will do the trick, click “Install,” then “Activate.” Visit your site to see if you like the way it looks.
10. Go back to “Appearance,” but this time click “Widgets.” Now here’s where it can get a little tricky, as everyone does things a little differently. Personally, at the very top of the sidebar (preferably the right sidebar), you should drag and drop a “text” module… this is where you’ll put your Aweber autoresponder code.
11. Still in “Widgets,” under your autoresponder code, drag and drop the “Image Widgets” plugin and upload a nice pic of yourself within it. Then, add a caption with a link back to your “About Me” page. Just look at this blog for an example.
12. If your theme doesn’t display your page titles along the top, then make sure you drag and drop the “Pages” widget into your sidebar, too. Also, “Categories” and “Recent Posts” are good widgets to use.
13. Finally, for any affiliate or product banners you’d like to display, just use the “Text” widget and paste in your banners’ html codes.
This really is a condensed version of how you should configure your blog. I kept it as short as possible for the sake of not overwhelming you with words. Just follow the above outline to the best of your ability… it will come to you!
As always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate for a second to contact me. I’d love to help.
Tomorrow we’ll be getting into the nitty-gritty of all this beeswax… blogging, integrating your autoresponder, and building a massive list of “White Hot” buyers!
You’ve really come a long way so far. You are to be very seriously commended for your commitment to bettering your life through the mighty power of list building. The best part is, you’re going to be doing it better than 95% of your competition!
See ya tommorrow!